AN OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE PART OF A TRULY UNIQUE PROPERTY OF SIGNIFICANT HISTORIC IMPORTANCE ENJOYING ARGUABLY ONE OF THE MOST DRAMATIC VIEWS IN THE COUNTRY. A FORMER COASTGUARD STATION SYMPATHETICALLY CONVERTED INTO A SUCCESSFUL TEA ROOM/RESTAURANT 33 COVERS & 56 OUTSIDE COVERS SET WITHIN ENCLOSED GARDEN.
CAFÉ/RESTAURANT KITCHEN PREPARATION AREA WC DISABLED TOILET
FORMER OPERATIONS ROOM/UNDERGROUND BUNKER
OPTION TO CONVERT TEAROOM/RESTAURANT INTO HOLIDAY APARTMENT AND SERVERY
(PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED 2022)
Situated on top of the iconic White Cliffs of Dover commanding arguably one of the best views in the country. The vendors purchased the property from the Coastal Sea Agency in 1994 and embarked on a sympathetic and comprehensive programme of improvements and extensions to create a tearoom/restaurant on the ground floor with a luxury self-contained holiday apartment above (not included in the sale). Having retired, the vendors have reluctantly decided to offer this exceptional tearoom/restaurant for sale giving someone else the opportunity to continue the enterprise with the potential to grow the business further. Currently the business is closed with everything in place ready for reopening by the new owners. They will be retaining the holiday apartment for themselves.
The land along the cliff tops around St Margaret’s was for several generations part of Lord Granville’s estates. In 1914 the land where Bluebirds now sits was acquired by the Ministry of War and two huts were erected and used as a signal station during and after The Great War. The Obelisk monument adjacent was erected in 1921 (together with two others – one on the opposite side of the Channel atop Cap Blanc Nez and the other in New York Harbour) as a tribute to sailors of the Dover Patrol who lost their lives during the hostilities. In the late 1920’s the signal huts were replaced by a purpose-built brick Coastguard lookout. With war again looming, however, the significance of the site prompted the construction of an underground operations room (35ft below the building) with two anti-aircraft guns sited to the rear. Throughout World War Two, the lookout played a significant part in the defence of the country, it’s position near ‘Hellfire Corner’ being central to the Battle of Britain. It was also pivotal in the monitoring and coordination of shipping in the Channel, its importance being such that Sir Winston Churchill made two visits during the war to the underground bunker. After the war, the lookout – now a fully equipped coastguard station, complete with a radar scanner – continued its important role as the principal centre for the monitoring of what had become the busiest shipping lane in the world. King Charles made a visit there in 1979. With the increase in traffic and the development in new technology the decision was made to build a new multi-million-pound Coastguard station nearer to Dover at Langdon Cliff. The old station was then decommissioned and in 1994 offered for sale.
The village of St Margaret’s at Cliffe offers local shopping, post office, doctor’s surgery with pharmacy, newsagent/general store and primary school (Ofsted rated ‘outstanding’). Grammar schools are at Dover and Sandwich and public schools at Dover, Broadstairs, Northbourne and Canterbury. The Bay itself is sheltered for bathing, fishing, sailing etc. The cliff-top to either side of The Bay is mainly in the care of the National Trust. Step out of the gate and onto the ancient Saxon Shore Way which is also part of the ‘Round Britain’ coastal heritage access route walks. There are golf courses at nearby Kingsdown and Deal, with Royal St George’s at Sandwich (the venue of the British Open). The Cathedral City of Canterbury offers an excellent shopping centre together with leisure interest, theatres and county cricket. Excellent links to the Continent via the Port of Dover (approximately 4 miles), the Channel Tunnel (approx. 12 miles) and London-St Pancras being 75 minutes from Martin Mill station (approx 2 miles).
Accommodation with approximate measurements comprises;
32’ x 10’7 narrowing to 9’ (9.75m x 3.23m narrowing to 2.74m) 33 covers, superb triple aspect with panoramic views of the channel. Double and single glazed doors to front terrace, tiled floor, wood-burning stove.
Built in cupboards, doors to;
Low level toilet suite, wash hand basin, tiled floor and ½ tiled walls.
Low level toilet suite, wash hand basin, hand dryer, tiled floor, ½ tiled walls.
From the Café louvered swing doors to;
12’7 x 9’10 (3.84m x 3m) Stainless steel commercial quality work-surfaces and storage shelves stainless steel cooker, extractor hood, double drainer stainless steel sink, dishwasher, hand basin, telephone point, fridge, tiled floor, doorway to;
Stainless steel and wooden work surfaces and shelving, 4 freezers, tiled floor, ½ glazed door to rear garden.
In the disabled W.C. a trap door leads to ladders accessing an underground bunker /former operations room located 35ft below the building – 16’3 x 5’3 (4.96m x 2.21m).
The building is set in a garden comprising a securely fenced grassed area around the building. Tables for 56 covers.
NB: The property is offered for sale complete with all fixtures, fittings, furnishings and certain equipment required for the continued running of the café/restaurant. Planning consent has been granted (Ref Dov 22/00540) for the change of use of the tearoom/restaurant into a holiday let and servery.
VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT THROUGH AGENTS MARSHALL & CLARKE.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VARIOUS APPLIANCES AND SERVICES HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED BY MARSHALL & CLARKE.
MAINS ELECTRICITY AND WATER, PRIVATE DRAINAGE.
- Price: £395,000
- Status offer line: FOR SALE