- AN EXCEPTIONAL GRADE II LISTED HISTORIC MANOR HOUSE
- GALLERIED ENTRANCE HALL
- DRAWING ROOM – SITTING ROOM – DINING ROOM – GARDEN ROOM – KITCHEN – UTILITY ROOM – CLOAKROOM
- THREE CELLARS
- TUDOR PERIOD OAK STAIRCASE – GALLERIED LANDING
- SIX BEDROOMS – 3 EN-SUITES – BATHROOM
- TWO BEDROOM DETACHED COTTAGE
- ONE BEDROOM DETACHED COTTAGE
- STADDLE HUT ANNEXE
- ATTRACTIVE GROUNDS OF JUST UNDER TWO ACRES – ALL WEATHER TENNIS COURT
- DRIVEWAY/PARKING FOR SEVERAL VEHICLES
A very special opportunity to become the custodian of one of the most historically important Grade II listed houses in the area. Together with two detached refurbished cottages and ‘Staddle Hut Annexe’ all set in attractive grounds of just under 2 acres including an all-weather tennis court.
Wallett’s Court is situated in the tiny Hamlet of Westcliffe which has a smattering of houses and an ancient church. Just half mile from St Margaret’s Bay an attractive seaside village nestling in the famous White Cliffs. The vibrant seaside town of Deal is just 4 miles distance with its award-winning high street boasting a variety of interesting and quirky shops, bars and restaurants (including one at the end of the Pier). Dover (approximately 4.5 miles) has further shopping and is currently undergoing a multi-million-pound re-development of the harbour area with new yacht marina and shopping centre.
The village of St Margaret’s at Cliffe offers local shopping, post office, newsagent/general store, primary school and churches, whilst The Bay itself is sheltered for bathing, fishing, sailing etc. The cliff top to either side of The Bay is mainly in the care of the National Trust and offers some delightful walks. There are golf courses at nearby Kingsdown and Deal with St George’s at Sandwich (the venue of the British Open). The Cathedral City of Canterbury offers an excellent shopping centre together with leisure interest, theatres and county cricket. Excellent links to the continent via the Port of Dover, the Channel Tunnel and Eurostar from Ashford and London (St Pancras), 75 minutes from Martin Mill station (approx. 2 miles).
First mention of Wallett’s Court (then ‘The Manor of Westcliffe) is in the Domesday Survey of 1086. All this time it was in the possession of Odo Bishop of Bayeux (half brother of William the Conqueror) he was later disgraced and his possessions confiscated. The Manor then had a number of noteworthy owners most significantly Queen Eleanor of Castille (the wife of King Edward 1) who bought it for a princely sum of 1,000 marks. A wooden effigy of Eleanor is carved into one of the structural oak posts in the sitting room together with decorative carvings and the initials of the Gibbon family in both the sitting room and the entrance porch, they owned the Manor from 1573 to 1660. Lord Matthew Aylmer, Admiral of the fleet is known to have retired to Wallett’s in 1700 but from 1720 it became a tenanted farm, one of the tenants being Right Honourable William Pitt the Younger who served as British Prime Minister (1783 to 1801 and 1804 to 1806). In the 1930’s it was purchased by the Dare family who farmed it until 1973. Then the house stood empty until in 1975 it was purchased by the current owners who lovingly restored the old house and outbuildings, running it for many years as a very popular and successful Boutique hotel and restaurant. Wishing to retire they closed the business in 2016, sold off two adjacent outbuildings but retaining the main house and two cottages and Staddle Hut.
The accommodation with approximate measurements comprises;
Limed oak entrance canopy.
Panelled front door to;
GALLERIED ENTRANCE HALL
23’9 x 7’5 (7.24 x 2.26m) Exposed beams and brickwork, doors to rear garden and main cellar, double width opening to;
32’ x 16 (9.75m x 4.88m) A beautifully proportioned room with view of the church, double aspect with 2 fireplaces one with a huge Inglenook and wood burning stove. The other an original Tudor painted fireplace (not in use). Exposed beams and brickwork, window seat, and a built-in pine corner cupboard.
30’9 narrowing to 20’6 x 18’6 (9.38m narrowing to 6.25m x 5.64m) Double aspect with view of the church, casement window with original shutters, Inglenook fireplace (functional), window seat. Exposed beams and of particular historical significance are 2 beautifully carved oak posts one depicting Queen Eleanor and the other carved with the initials of the Gibbon family.
23’9 x 15’ (7.24m x 4.58m) Exposed beams and brickwork, terracotta tiled floor, glazed double doors and two steps down to;
33’6 x 17’2 narrowing to 11’2 A lovely light and airy space which would make a fabulous kitchen/breakfast/family room with large windows giving view over the rear garden, part vaulted ceiling, double doors to garden. Door and steps to;
Lovely old beams and exposed brick and chalk blocks.
20’ x 13’9 (6.10m x 4.19m) Former catering kitchen with electric range style cooker, stainless steel cupboards and worktops, double bowl stainless steel sink, fridge/freezer, wine cooler, stairs down to door to CELLAR 3 with walk-in cold room.
9’5 x 7’1 (2.87m x 2.16m) Stainless steel worktop and sink, space and plumbing for washing machine, door to;
Door to garden and;
WC, hand basin.
From entrance hall steps down to Main Cellar two rooms currently used as a games room and stone tiled floor, exposed beams and brickwork.
From hall original carved oak Tudor staircase rises in 3 short flights to;
Exposed brickwork and beams, old panelled door leads to inner passageway with remains of old decorative painted plaster panels.
20’6 x 15’9 (6.25m x 4.80m) Double aspect with view of the church and over the rear garden to fields beyond, exposed beams, stone fireplace, wash basin, connecting door to 2ND LANDING with stairs to attic and ground floor. Door to;
17’9 x 10’5 (5.41m x 3.1m) View over church, exposed beams.
Panelled bath with spray mixer, wash basin, WC, airing cupboard.
Two WC cubicles, hand basin.
From main galleried landing doors to;
17’4 x 12’6 (5.29m x 3.81m) View over old barns towards Kingsdown and distant view of the sea. Fireplace and door to;
Panelled bath with spray mixer, pedestal wash hand basin, WC.
17’ x 14’3 narrowing to 11’3 (5.19m x 4.35m narrowing to 3.43m)) View of Church, painted stone fireplace, door to;
Roll top bath with spray mixer, pedestal wash hand basin, WC.
16’6 x 15’3 (5.03m x 4.65m) View of Church, painted stone fireplace, door to;
EN-SUITE SHOWER ROOM
Shower cubicle wash hand basin, WC.
9’9 x 7’1 (2.97m x 2.16m) Wash hand basin, exposed decorated painted panels.
From secondary landing stairs up to;
13’9 narrowing to 11’1 x 8’7 (4.19m narrowing to 3.38m x 2.62m)
8’7 x 6’6 (2.62m x 1.98m)
The house and cottages sit in grounds of just under 2 acres, mainly lawns with a variety of established plants and shrubs.
To the rear of the house are two detached cottages offering potential for income or ancillary accommodation for friends and family.
FALLEN ROOF COTTAGE comprises;
A fully fitted kitchen 13’3 max x 11’1 (4.04m x 3.38m) leading through to a lounge/dining room 33’4 x 11’1 (10.16m x 3.38m)
Upstairs are two bedrooms one with en-suite bathroom the other an en-suite shower room.
BEDROOM 1 – 16’7 x 11’1 (5.05m x 3.38m)
BEDROOM 2 – 13’3 x 11’1 (4.04m x 3.38m)
THE STABLES COTTAGE comprises;
Entrance lobby, lounge/diner, kitchenette, bedroom with en-suite shower room.
LOUNGE/DINER – 15’8 x 13’5 (4.78m x 4.09m)
BEDROOM – 18’2 x 13’5 (5.54m x 4.09m)
To the side of the house set on an area of lawn adjacent to the driveway/parking area is an old ‘STADDLE HUT’ this has been converted into a further annex comprising; a sitting room, shower room and a raised sleeping platform.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VARIOUS APPLIANCES AND SERVICES HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED BY MARSHALL AND CLARKE
OIL CENTRAL HEATING, ELECTRICITY, WATER AND PRIVATE DRAINAGE
- Price: £1,750,000
- Bedrooms: 9
- Bathrooms: 7